Travel Advice: Coronavirus & Brexit

Be Prepared for Post-Brexit and Coronavirus Travel

Coronavirus Information & Advice

Throughout 2021, all of our resorts in Europe have been open and operating fairly normally. All resorts have opened accommodation and facilities, including pools, restaurants and kids clubs. They may operate under enhanced safety procedures and many can help organise local Covid testing, either on-site or nearby.

In the information below, we try to give an up to date view of the latest UK entry requirements. Just as important is the FCDO advice status, as this has more influence on flights and travel insurance validity for holidays to the related country.

UK Travel Advice

Since 4th October 2021 the UK government has replaced the previous ‘traffic light’ system and associated rules for entry to the UK with a simple ‘red list’ of countries with significant entry restrictions. None of our destinations are on the red list.

The UK government has now removed the requirement for all double-vaccinated or boosted travellers and their families to take tests when travelling to (or returning to) the UK.

The UK government has introduced a new website which gives step by step advice and links regarding travelling to various countries based on your vaccination status –

The UK Covid Pass is accepted on arrival in most countries to demonstrate full vaccination status or recovery from Covid. This now applies to children from age 13, who can be set up on the NHS app or children from age 12 with a printed download. See here for more info – 

The UK government has not changed its advice for travelling to the countries our resorts are in. You will need to comply with any rules and restrictions for travellers arriving in each of the destination countries from the UK.

Country FCDO Advice** UK Entry – Assuming Double Vaccination Destination Entry – Assuming Double-Vaccination and age 12+ FCDO Page
France Approved for leisure travel None Double vaccination proof (NHS letter / app)
Completed online self-declaration.
France Advice
Spain Approved for leisure travel None Double vaccination proof (NHS letter / app), including children age 12+
Complete online entry form before arrival.
Temperature & visual health checks
Spain Advice
Italy Approved for leisure travel None Double vaccination proof (NHS letter / app)
Negative Covid test (48 hours pre), including children age 6+
Italy Advice
Croatia Approved for leisure travel None Double vaccination proof (NHS letter / app)
OR Negative Covid test (48 hours pre), including children age 12+
Complete online entry form before arrival.
Croatia Advice
Portugal Approved for leisure travel None  Negative Covid test (48 hours pre), including children age 12+
Complete online entry form before arrival
Temperature and visual health checks
Portugal Advice

*In France additional restrictions may apply for entry to restaurants and attractions without a vaccine or health pass. Find out more
**Where FCDO advice supports leisure travel at national level for the destination country, there may still be localised restrictions.

Updated 18 April 2022

Brexit Icon

Brexit and Travel to Europe

After officially leaving the European Union on 31 January 2020, the UK’s transition arrangements have now expired, leading to some changes to travel and holidays within Europe. Although no significant impact is expected, the differences are more than just that UK passports have become blue…

Our trade association, ABTA, has the latest information and advice: See ABTA’s Full Brexit Advice for Travellers

Passports and Visas

All British citizens must carry a full 10 year British passport valid for 6 months after the end of your holiday when visiting EU countries. All infants and children must also have their own passport. A visa should not be required for typical holiday periods.

Also check your passport is within 9 years and 6 months of its issued date. Some passports issued before September 2018 could have more than the maximum validity period but this may no longer be valid.

If any members of your party need to renew or obtain a passport, we recommend you apply at least 12 weeks before your holiday. See or call the UK Passport Office on 0300 222 0000 for advice and information. Citizens of other countries should check with the relevant authorities for passport and visa requirements.

UK citizens will no longer be able to use the EU or EEA lanes at passport control in airports or ports. Use only the ‘All Passports’ lanes.

Health Cards

In addition to taking out travel insurance for all members of your party we strongly recommend you carry a valid EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) or GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card) which will provide access to public healthcare systems in the EU and Switzerland. Check whether your EHIC’s 5 year validity has expired… if so, you’ll need to apply for a GHIC.

Driving in Europe

British photocard driving licenses remain valid for use in EU countries, but if you hold a paper license or a license issued in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man, you’ll need an additional International Driving Permit, which can be obtained from main Post Offices.

If driving you’re own car in Europe, you’ll need a ‘green card’ from your car insurance provider to validate your insurance in Europe. This is a physical card. Apply to your insurer at least a month before you travel.

Travelling with Pets

Each pet will need an Animal Health Certificate to confirm micro-chipping and appropriate vaccinations (including rabies). Talk to your vet well in advance and read more government advice on taking your pet abroad.

And Don’t get Caught Out…

  • Give yourself extra time at airports and ports, especially with additional Covid checks. Ports, ferry and tunnel terminals may also be busier due to increased checks on freight and commercial transport.
  • Don’t take meat or milk related products into Europe … even in the food you pack for the journey (baby-milk excluded).
  • Check with your mobile phone provider about roaming charges for phone and data use, as the European-wide agreements for these are no longer valid.
  • Remember that duty-free limits are back in place for alcohol and tobacco products, etc.